Wednesday, January 22, 2014

PHALLUS Crazy Wisdom from BHUTAN

In all provability, Karma Choden the author of the book titled "PHALLUS Crazy Wisdom from BHUTAN" must be frantically going mad - supervising the arrangements for the launch of her maiden publication at the Nehru-Wangchuck Cultural Centre which is scheduled for 3.30PM today.


His Eminence Dzongsar Jamyang Khyentse Rinpoche has the honor of launching the book - very apt in my view! I can think of no other personality who has the matching mischievous appeal - as does His Eminence - to validate the relevance and importance of the subject the book deals with. Worship and reverence of the male phallic symbol is integral to our culture and religion.

As I write this post, I am cruising at 39,000 ft. above the Indian Ocean - on my way to Singapore. I had wanted to be a part of the launch - but it coincided with my travel that was planned months back. Nonetheless, I wish Karma the very best and hope that her launch is progressing well and that she is thronged by people making snide digs at her and her lack of prudery in taking on a subject that is supposedly in the male domain.

I have played a small part in the book's making. It was an instinctive decision - I loved the overall packaging of the book; I loved the concept and I loved the fact that a woman was putting it all together. During the process of refining the book and improving its design and debating the relevance of some of the contents, we had hilarious moments - all very jaunty and jolly. But in the final stages of the books preparation, there was one funny incidence that is simply priceless! I hope that its narration will bring loads of laughter to every one - as it does to me every time I think of it.

The back flap of the book's cover needed a small blurb from the author. Karma was required to write something about herself and how come she was inspired to author the book. Not entirely a shy and retiring type of a girl, Karma got on with the job with real gusto.

She started the blurb with; "Karma's fascination with phalluses and the crazy wisdom associated with them started two years back...."

I looked in horror and guffawed at what I thought cannot be the truth. I pointed that out to Karma. Although she did not accept that what she wrote was untrue, nonetheless, she rephrased the sentence to how it now appears:

"Karma's fascination with phallic symbols and the crazy wisdom associated with them started two years back when she had an opportunity to travel all over Bhutan".

I wish Karma a huge success.

11 comments:

  1. plz let me know where i can buy a copy, urgent. Sonam From Gujarat... Plz let me know sontob3dho@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sonam,
    You can write to Karma at her email address: karmacdn@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made me curious about the book. Hope I could get it and read it some day :) Btw, are you still in Singapore?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I am ... in fact I arrived here yesterday and will be here for about a week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... and you can order the book directly from the author at:

      karmacdn@gmail.com

      Delete
  5. Hope it will be available on Amazon.com soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Timmy,
      It wont be on Amazon.com any time soon ... you will have to order it directly from the author at:

      karmacdn@gmail.com

      Delete
    2. you can now find the book on amazon
      http://www.amazon.com/Phallus-Wisdom-Bhutan-Karma-Choden/dp/9993691178/

      Delete
  6. You can now find the book on Amazon.com!
    http://www.amazon.com/Phallus-Wisdom-Bhutan-Karma-Choden/dp/9993691178/

    ReplyDelete
  7. This seems like such an incredible and enjoyable book. Are most Bhutanese quite open about such things?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Manish,
      Thanks for dropping by. Yes, on the whole, we Bhutanese are not the shy and retiring type. In fact I think we are pretty liberal and unabashed about references to sexuality.

      Delete